Let’s turn this over to the women.
1. The Staple Singers, “Heavy Makes You Happy (Sha-Na-Boom-Boom)”. It's more than just a feeling - it's a philosophy.
2. Joni Mitchell, “All I Want”. I want to shampoo you.
3. Dolly Parton, “Coat of Many Colors”. Although we had no money, I was rich as I could be.
4. Loretta Lynn, “One’s on the Way”. The White House social season should be glittering and gay.
5. Jean Knight, “Mr. Big Stuff”. Who do you think you are?
6. Aretha Franklin, “Rock Steady”. Let's call this song exactly what it is.
7. Fleetwood Mac, “Show Me a Smile”. It doesn’t take much to please me.
8. Betty Wright, “Clean Up Woman”. She's tough, I mean she really cleans up.
9. Carole King, “Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?”. Tell me now, and I won’t ask again.
10. Janis Joplin, “Get It While You Can”. We may not be here tomorrow.
And a 1971 bonus:
[edited to add Spotify playlist]