I know these bore most people, so I don’t bother with much text. I just list my team. This is the 25th year I’ve played fantasy baseball. There were times when I helped run dozens of leagues. Those days are thankfully gone, and the main remnant, outside of some continuing friendships, is that I don’t have the energy for much more than one online league a year. This year, though, I ended up in two, because my daughter called a few hours ago and asked me to be in her league. So I have two teams.
The first was an automated draft. My biggest mistake was that I didn’t set an upper limit for how many outfielders to draft, so I ended up with 9 of them. Only 6 can play at any one time, so I have some trading to do. Here is that team:
- C: Jorge Posada
- 1B: Ryan Howard
- 2B: Tsuyoshi Nishioka, Mike Aviles
- 3B: Edwin Encarnacion, Chris Johnson
- SS: Yunel Escobar
- OF: Ryan Braun, Carlos Gonzalez, Jayson Werth, Jay Bruce, Chris Young, Nick Markakis, Rajai Davis, Dexter Fowler, Ryan Raburn
- SP: Dan Haren, Jered Weaver, Javier Vazquez, Jake Peavy
- RP: Joe Nathan, Jonathan Broxton, Chris Perez, Matt Thornton, Brandon Lyon
Honestly, I don’t think much of this team.
The second team was a live draft. I had about an hour to prepare … maybe that was for the best. They don’t tell you the draft order until the beginning of the draft, and I was placed in the #2 slot. The first guy picked … well, I can’t remember who he picked, but the player’s name wasn’t “Albert Pujols” so my first choice was an easy one. My daughter picked next and grabbed Tim Lincecum. Here is my final roster for that league:
- C: Victor Martinez
- 1B: Albert Pujols
- 2B: Martin Prado, Brian Roberts
- 3B: Alex Rodriguez, Mark Reynolds
- SS: Rafael Furcal, Miguel Tejada
- OF: Matt Holliday, Jayson Werth, Andre Ethier, Delmon Young, Torii Hunter, Marlon Byrd
- UT: Omar Infante
- SP: Josh Johnson, Jered Weaver, Max Scherzer, Ted Lilly, Shaun Marcum
- RP: Francisco Rodriguez, Matt Thornton, Craig Kimbrel, Joel Hanrahan, Hong-Chih Kuo
I suspect this is a better team than my “real” one.