1. Lucinda Williams, “Lonely Girls.” As you can see from the video, Lucinda’s been reading her lyrics in concert for a few years now. No teleprompter for her!
2. Gorillaz, “Clint Eastwood.” Don’t know if it’s just an accident of shuffle play, but there isn’t much in the way of Macho Rock on this list. Even the song named after Clint Eastwood is something entirely different.
3. The Strokes, “Last Nite.” I suppose this is the closest thing here to macho.
4. Missy Elliott, “Get Ur Freak On.” Missy ain’t a lonely girl.
5. The Gossip, “Hott Date.” Neither is Beth Ditto.
6. k.d. lang, “Crying.” On the other hand …
7. Rufus Wainwright, “One Man Guy.” Spoiler alert: the one man guy is me.
8. Barry Harris, “Dive in the Pool.” Pop quiz: Is Brian Kinney macho?
9. The Blind Boys of Alabama, “Way Down in the Hole.” Didn’t realize until posting this that Charlie Musselwhite is playing the harp on this (I think).
10. Hedwig and the Angry Inch, “The Origin of Love.” Pop quiz #2: How about Hedwig?