Another quickie … just got back from Giants game, no time for detail post.
1. Sonic Youth, “Teen Age Riot.” A good starter, and one of my two favorite SY songs. If Sonic Youth hadn’t gotten randomly chosen, I would have stuck them on the list myself, since I’m going to see them on Sunday.
2. Tracy Chapman, “Fast Car.” This song was ubiquitous when it came out.
3. Bobby Brown, “My Prerogative.” As was this one, at least in my memories.
4. Metallica, “One.” Makes me think of Scott Ferrall.
5. Lucinda Williams, “Changed the Locks.” Not sure when anyone else climbed aboard, but it was her self-titled 1988 album that made me a Lucinda fan.
6. k.d. lang, “Shadowland.” With lang, I was a fan in 1988, but it wasn’t until ‘89 that I fell in love with her. Couldn’t find a video of this one, so the link is to “Johnny Get Angry.”
7. The Feelies, “Too Far Gone.” From my favorite Feelies album. Might be my favorite Feelies song.
8. Public Enemy, “Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos.” Greatest rap album of all time? The video seems to be unavailable.
9. Bruce Springsteen, “Have Love, Will Travel.” From a monumentally great concert he did at Shoreline that year.
10. The Proclaimers, “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles).” Irresistible to this day, if you ask me.