I was surfing around, and came across a website from a professional organizer. It included a quiz designed to measure your “Organizing Quotient.” We are assured before taking the quiz that most people are much more organized than they realize.
There were 20 questions, each of which was worth from 1–4 points, so the most you could score was 80 and the least was 20. If you scored 20–29, they suggested you become a professional organizer, too. 30–45 meant you were reasonably organized. 36–57 was “somewhat disorganized and probably frustrated.”
I got a 65.
Of course, I don’t know how much I can trust this quiz … how organized can they be, when anyone who scored between 36–45 is in two categories?
Here’s what it said about people like me:
Disorganization rules your life and you are likely to be very stressed out. Your job may even be on the line. Your possessions own you instead of you owning them. Your time management is keeping you from enjoying life the way you want to. Seek out a professional organizer who can help you implement systems, teach you basic organizing skills, and keep you on task so you can finish what you begin.
For the record, here are the 11 answers where I got the maximum 4 points for disorganization:
- My clothes are in piles all over, getting stepped on.
- My desk is somewhere under that big pile of stuff.
- The attic and basement in my home are big black holes. Stuff goes in and never comes out.
- I always get distracted when trying to organize.
- I always feel overwhelmed by the size of my organizing projects.
- I never know the logical spots where things in my home should be put away.
- When I start an organizing project I never finish it. I love the idea of organizing but am often too distracted to see it through to the end.
- My family never helps keep the home in order and running smoothly.
- My home never makes me feel happy and comfortable.
- Being at home and seeing my clutter always makes me feel stressed.
- On a scale of 1–4 with 4 being the most cluttered, my home feels like a 4.
On the other hand, there was one question where I got the minimum one point … my mail gets read and sorted daily.